At the Nursery we value the importance of outdoor activities. Wherever possible we adopt a free-flow approach, enabling children to regularly access the large, safe and enclosed garden. Tending the vegetable plot (and enjoying the fruits of their labours – the new potatoes were particularly delicious!) making repairs to the Insect Hotel, chatting to the Alpacas who seasonally live in the field at the end of the Nursery garden, bird spotting, and using any of nature's provisions or the play equipment available (kites, tents, sand pit, willow wigwam) are just a few of the activities available for the children to enjoy.
The outdoor environment adds another exciting dimension to the children's learning. It has very positive advantages to the children's early years education as it enables each child to experience the seasons of the year, the diversity of British weather, along with a rich variety of opportunities to extend every aspect of their learning and development.
Our core values outdoors
Children are given the freedom to explore, investigate to developing their Self-Esteem, Confidence and Independence.
- To take risks safely, making personal choices about their own safety when using equipment.
- To respect nature, gaining knowledge of ecological sustainability.
- To encourage a natural affinity for wildlife and their habitats.
- To experience the outdoors in all weathers and conditions, understanding getting dirty is part of growing up.
- To use tools safely when gardening, fixing and creating.
- To use natural materials and loose parts through play in their natural surroundings.
- To have a free flow environment that is supportive of both indoor and outdoor learning.